Thursday 28 June 2007

Australian Population about to hit 21 million!

The Australian population is expected to reach 21 million people tomorrow 28th June. The Australian population clock can be viewed here.

I recently read that Australia will reach 21 million long before what was originally expected. This is mainly due to the increase in birth rate. According to the census reports the birth rate in 2006 was the second highest in all of Australia's history!

What is also interesting, is that the number of births per Australian female is 1.81 which is apparently one of the highest rates in the OECD.

Why do you think this is the case? What made you decide to have a child?

I had a baby boy in 2006. If I think about why we chose to have a bub at this time - it had nothing to do with the baby bonus - or Mr Costello's "one for the country" speech. All I can say is that it just felt "right" and I guess we can put that down to feeling positive about the future.

No comments: